A lot is riding on the all new Mercedes-Benz E Class and from the looks of things, it looks like a slightly smaller version of the formidable and ground breaking S Class. According to Mercedes, the new E Class is their most intelligent executive sedan. We find out why.
What To Expect From the New 2017 Mercedes-Benz E Class
With its distinct, emotive design, exclusive interior and impressive number of innovations, Mercedes-Benz is taking a big step into the future with the all-new E-Class. Marking the world premiere of numerous technical innovations that enable comfortable, safe driving on a new level, plus a new dimension in driver assistance – the E-Class sees Mercedes-Benz taking another step closer to its goal of accident-free and autonomous driving.
The all-new E‑Class marks the world premiere of numerous technical innovations that enable comfortable, safe driving on a new level, plus a new dimension in driver assistance.
- Good looking, appealing and with exceptional exterior design, matched only by its exclusive interior style and high quality workmanship.
- New, intelligent assistance and safety systems see Mercedes-Benz taking another step closer to its goal of accident-free and autonomous driving.
- Highlights of the optional Driving Assistance package that make the E-Class the most intelligent sedan in its class include: DRIVE PILOT, PRE-SAFE® ,and PRE-SAFE® PLUS, Active Brake Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist.
“The E-Class is the core of our brand, and in the past has repeatedly redefined the standards in the executive-class segment. Now it carries this tradition into the future with a wealth of top-class innovations that take safety, stress relief and comfort to a new level. It is without doubt the most intelligent sedan in the executive class,” said Dirk Fetzer, Vice President & Director, Sales & Marketing, Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars. “What will also delight our customers is the confident style, agile handling and revolutionary interior design of this exceptional new model.”
The design of the all-new E-Class is characterised by hallmark Mercedes-Benz sedan proportions. The elongated bonnet coupled with a coupé-esque roof and broad-shouldered tail end creates an exciting silhouette, while its new extended powerful vehicle body is characterised by short overhangs, a long wheelbase, large wheels and taut well-defined flanks that display a fresh, stylish and dynamic interpretation of the feature line. The muscular front end boasts a different look for each design and equipment line – EXCLUSIVE, AVANTGARDE and AMG Line models – with each of the radiator grill designs lending the E-Class a distinct character.
Next Level Interior Design
The interior of the all-new E-Class embodies the synthesis of emotion and intelligence. Optional extras include the Widescreen Cockpit with two brilliant next-generation high-resolution displays, each with a wide screen diagonal of 12.3 inches – unique in this segment. As the entire cockpit is fully digital, the driver is free to configure the information and views of relevance for them and thus create their own personal cockpit. In a first for a car, the steering wheel features touch-sensitive Touch Controls that, like a smartphone interface, respond precisely to horizontal and vertical swiping movements. In keeping with the motto “hands on the wheel, eyes on the road“, this allows minimum driver distraction to be achieved.
Intelligent material design
High-quality materials define the interior style. They include open-pore woods, wood in a yachting look with flowing lines as a contemporary interpretation of inlaid wood and a novel metal fabric. Just as carefully composed is the colour concept with various shades of brown, including new attractive colour combinations such as nut brown/macchiato and saddle brown/macchiato.
A further highlight of the all-new E-Class are its seats. Their ergonomic, sculptural form combines Mercedes-Benz’s hallmark suitability for long journeys with a refined, sporty look, featuring a unique design for each line. Furthermore, Active Multicontour Seat package is also available as an option for the front seats. This includes the following functions: Energizing Massage, dynamic seat, multicontour backrest and – new – the active cushion.
The interior lighting makes exclusive use of durable, energy-saving LED technology. The same applies to the enhanced ambient lighting included in the lines. With 64 colours, it offers a host of possibilities for personalisation throughout the interior.
Nine-speed automatic transmission
All models available are equipped as standard with the new 9G‑TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmission. It enables fast gear changes and allows low engine revs, which has a particularly beneficial effect on efficiency and noise levels.
Suspension – sporty comfort
The suspension on the all-new E-Class, with three options of selective damping, offers agile driving pleasure and the highest level of ride comfort in this segment. In addition, a multi-chamber air suspension all round is also available – the only car in its segment to offer this option – and one that delivers excellent ride comfort, good road roar and tyre vibration characteristics with its augmented electronically controlled adaptive damping system, and outstanding driving dynamics. What’s more, a DYNAMIC SELECT switch in the cockpit enables the driver to select from five AIR BODY CONTROL modes: “Comfort”, “ECO”, “Sport” , “Sport +”and “Individual”, allowing drivers to configure their vehicle to suit their own preferences.
Next-generation driving assistance systems
Mercedes-Benz’s new assistance and safety systems enhance safety, comfort and driver assistance to new levels. Active Brake Assist is able to warn the driver of impending collisions, provide optimum support with emergency braking and if necessary also autonomously apply the brakes. Included as standard is ATTENTION ASSIST with adjustable sensitivity, which can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness.
Highlights of the optional Driving Assistance package that make the E-Class the most intelligent sedan in its class include:
- DRIVE PILOT: this system represents Mercedes-Benz’s next step on the road to autonomous driving. As Distance Pilot DISTRONIC, it is not only able to automatically maintain the correct following distance behind the vehicle in front, at speeds up to 130 km/h, the system can continue to actively help with the steering by taking account of surrounding vehicles and parallel structures, even if the lane markings are unclear or non-existent. The system makes driving much easier, especially in traffic jams or heavy congestion.
Integrated into DRIVE PILOT, Active Emergency Stop Assist can brake the vehicle to a standstill in its lane if it detects that the driver is permanently no longer taking control while on the move.
- Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function can detect crossing traffic at junctions and, if the driver fails to respond, apply the brakes autonomously. Likewise, the new Evasive Steering Assist system complements the pedestrian detection function of Active Brake Assist. If the driver deliberately or instinctively initiates an evasive manoeuvre in a hazardous situation, this function can add precisely calculated steering torque to support the movement of the steering wheel.
- Advanced assistance systems: the intelligent assistance systems in the new Driver Assistance package also include proven systems that have been further developed in terms of their mode of operation and the sensors they use such as Active Blind Spot Assist, PRE-SAFE®, and PRE-SAFE® PLUS.
- PRE-SAFE® Impulse Side: this system is part of the Driving Assistance package PLUS. If a lateral collision has been detected and is imminent, it can move the driver or front passenger away from the danger zone in a sideways direction by way of precaution. To do this, the system inflates an air chamber in the side bolster of the front seat backrest nearest the side of the imminent impact in a fraction of a second, thus increasing the distance between occupant and door and, at the same time, reducing the forces acting on them.
- PRE-SAFE® Sound: this system is based on a human reflex in the inner ear, called the stapedius reflex. PRE-SAFE® Sound emits a short interference signal through the vehicle’s sound system if the risk of a collision is detected. This signal can trigger the natural reflex and thus prepare the occupants’ ears for the expected sound of the accident, in order to reduce the stress on the occupants.
The all-new E-Class comes as standard with standard halogen headlamps. These incorporate an energy-saving LED daytime running lamp. Alternatively, a static LED High Performance headlamp as well as an innovative MULTIBEAM LED headlamp system with Intelligent Light System and adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus are available.
Multifunction Telephony – ideally connected, and not a cable in sight
An all-new infotainment generation is making its debut in the E-Class equipped with COMAND Online. Its highlights, alongside the double display, include the touch-sensitive Touch Controls on the steering wheel and the new, intelligent graphic design of the Multifunction Telephony. It allows mobile phones to be charged and, at the same time, connected to the vehicle’s exterior aerial – with absolutely no need for cables or a telephone holder.
The models at a glance:
|kW/hp||Nm||0-100 km/hin s||l/100 km||CO2g/km|
Pricing expected to start from USD 52,800 for the E 200, USD 55,400 for E 250, USD 67,700 for the E 300 and USD 77,200 for the E 400 4MATIC